Volunteer Your Time
Make a difference in the families who walk through our doors
We have several ways for you to donate your gift of time, and we invite you to find an opportunity that fits you best. Whether it’s volunteering as a group or individually, providing meals for our families or helping at a special event, volunteers help us care for families at their moment of greatest need.
In order to protect the health and safety of families, staff, and volunteers, we have temporarily suspended our volunteer program. Take a look at our Virtual Volunteer Opportunities for alternative ways you can help families now. If you have questions, email Diana at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our How to Help page to see the other ways you can support RMHC Richmond during this time!
Our individual volunteers are what keep our programs in the house and hospital running smoothly.
- For our individual opportunities, volunteers must be at least 18 years old and willing to commit for at least six months to a year.
- Our individual volunteer opportunities require a background check and training before volunteers are able to begin.
- To take a look at all our volunteer opportunities click here or see read more about our Meal and Off-Site Opportunities.
- House Volunteers assist with day-to-day operations of the Ronald McDonald House to keep the House running smoothly and provide a comfortable, clean environment for families with children receiving care in Richmond.
- Duties include answering the phone and door, accepting and organizing donations, resetting and cleaning rooms, performing light housework, and occasionally interacting with families.
- Volunteers are expected to commit to the same 3-hour shift once a week. Shifts are available everyday in 3-hour slots between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
Family Room Volunteer
- Volunteers manage the Family Room space at VCU Health by greeting and assisting families, coordinating laundry, assisting with activities, restocking, light housekeeping, and running the Happy Wheels cart around the main pediatric floor.
- Volunteers ensure that the Family Room provides caregivers a comforting space for families.
- Volunteers are expected to commit to the same 3-hour shift once per week. Shifts are available everyday in 3-hour slots between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
RMHC Happy Wheels at St. Mary’s
- Happy Wheels Volunteers push our hospitality cart to provide small comforts (toys, games, snacks, and activities) to families in pediatric units who are often spending long days at Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital.
- Volunteers are expected to commit to at least 2 shifts per month. Shifts are approximately 1.5 hours.
- Shifts are available on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m. and Sundays at 3:00 p.m.
RMHC Sibling Center
- The Sibling Center in the Children’s Pavilion at VCU allows parents to check in the well-sibling so they can focus on the care of the child receiving treatment.
- Volunteers engage the children in the Sibling Center in age-appropriate activities such as playing games, reading books, doing activities, etc. Volunteers also run the Happy Wheels cart handing out items to families in the Children’s Pavilion.
- Volunteers are expected to commit to the same 3-hour shift once per week. Shifts are available weekdays from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 12 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Special Event Opportunities
Volunteer at our Red Shoe Rendezvous, Big Pig Project, Character Breakfast, or other special event opportunities! Check out our events!
Apply to Volunteer
Once you Submit an Individual Volunteer Application, our Director of Volunteers and Community Engagement will be in touch to discuss next steps.
If you have any questions, please contact our Director of Volunteers and Community Engagement, Diana Villarreal, at email@example.com.