Make a difference in the families who walk through our doors
In order to protect the health and safety of families, staff, and volunteers, we have temporarily suspended our volunteer program. Please take a look at the How to Help page for ways to support RMHC Richmond during this time! If you have questions, email Diana at email@example.com.
Volunteers make a difference to the families and children who rely on our “home-away-from-home.” From cooking, cleaning, comforting or by simply being there and helping out in any way, volunteers help us care for our families.
We have several ways for you to donate your gift of time, and we invite you to find an opportunity that fits you best. Whether it’s volunteering as a group or individually, providing meals for our families or helping at a special event, you will support our families at their moment of greatest need. Click below on each of our volunteer opportunities to find out more or click here.
Please contact our Volunteer and Community Engagement Manager, Diana Villarreal, with any questions.
Our individual volunteers are what keep each one of these programs running smoothly. For our individual opportunities, volunteer must be at least 18 years old and willing to commit for at least six months to a year. Our individual volunteer opportunities require a background check and training before volunteers are able to begin.
House Volunteers assist with day-to-day operations of the Ronald McDonald House to keep the house running smoothly and provide a comfortable, clean environment for families with children receiving care in Richmond. Duties include answering the phone and door, accepting and organizing donations, cleaning rooms, performing light housework, and occasionally interacting with families. Volunteers are expected to commit to the same 3-hour shift once per week. Shifts are available everyday in 3-hour increments between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m
RMHC Happy Wheels
Our Happy Wheels Volunteers push our hospitality cart to provide small comforts (toys, games, snacks, and activities) to families in pediatric units who are often spending long days at the hospital. Volunteers are expected to commit to at least 2 shifts per month. Shifts are approximately 1.5 hours. Shifts are available on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m. and Sundays at 3:00 p.m.
Family Room Volunteer
Volunteers manage the Family Room space at VCU Health by greeting and assisting families, coordinating laundry, assisting with activities, restocking, light housekeeping, and running the Happy Wheels cart around the main pediatric floor. Volunteers are expected to commit to the same 3-hour shift once per week. Shifts are available everyday in 3-hour increments between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
RMHC Sibling Center
The Sibling Center in the Children's Pavilion at VCU allows parents to check in the well-sibling so they can focus on the care of the child receiving treatment. Volunteers engage the children in the Sibling Center in age-appropriate activities such as playing games, reading books, doing activities, etc. Volunteers also run the Happy Wheels cart handing out items to families in the Children's Pavilion. Volunteers are expected to commit to the same 3-hour shift once per week. Shifts are available weekdays from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 12 p.m. - 3 p.m.Learn More!
Apply to Volunteer
1. Complete our volunteer application.
2. Set up a time to meet with our Director of Volunteers and Community Engagement,Diana Villarreal, to discuss the volunteer role in more detail.
3. Complete required background check or hospital health screening.
4. Schedule and attend training.Submit an Individual Volunteer Application
Breakfast is served every Saturday and Sunday morning. Volunteers arrive between 8:00- 8:30 a.m. to have breakfast by 9:30 a.m.
Lunches with Love
Lunches are made every Sunday and Tuesday- Friday. All of the lunches made are taken either to St. Mary’s or VCU Health. Volunteers arrive at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesdays-Fridays to have lunches ready by 10 a.m., and 11 a.m. on Sundays.
Jane's Cookie Hour
Cookies or desserts are made every Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Cookie volunteers arrive at 1 p.m. to have cookies ready by 2 p.m. Please, no more than 3 dozen cookies.
Dinner is prepared daily for the families at the house. We ask that volunteers arrive between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to have dinner ready by 6 p.m.
Steps to Volunteer
1. Complete our Group/Family Interest Form
2. Check out our Meal Calendar to find open slots.
3. Email our Director of Volunteers and Community Engagement, Diana Villarreal or call 804-355-6517 to reserve a slot.
4. Review our Meal GuidelinesCookie Hour Guidelines Lunch Guidelines Download Meal Guidelines
Here are some ideas for projects for groups:
• Making a meal for the families staying in the house. (See meal volunteer options)
• Cleaning or organizing projects if available.• Decorate the doors of our 9 bedrooms: small wreaths or door hangs work best so our families can take them home as a keepsake! We do have hooks on each door.
Volunteers purchase items and assemble:
• Grab-n-Go Bags: see guidelines
• Activity Packs for our Happy Wheels Program: see guidelines
• Toiletry Kits:see guidelines
1. Complete our Group/Family Interest Form
2. Set up a time to speak with our Director of Volunteers and Community Engagement, Diana Villarreal, to discuss which opportunities may be the best fit for your group.
Individuals, families, schools, churches, corporate groups, etc. can collect pop tops and donate them to the Ronald McDonald House Charities. Learn more!
Holding a Wish List Drive
Collect items that are critical to helping families feel at home. Check out our Wish List.
Donate & Assemble
• Grab-n-Go Bags: Grab and Go Bags
• Activity Packs for our Happy Wheels Program: Activity Packs
• Toiletry Kits: see guidelines
Special Event Opportunities
Volunteer at our Red Shoe Rendezvous, Big Pig Project, or other special event opportunities! Check out our events!
Steps for Offsite Opportunities1. Complete our Group/Family Interest Form
2. Set up a time to speak with our Director of Volunteers and Community Engagement, Diana Villarreal, to discuss which opportunities may be the best fit for you.