Make a difference in the families who walk through our doors
Volunteers make a difference to the families and children who rely on our “home away from home.” From cooking, cleaning, comforting or by simply being there and helping out in any way, volunteers help us care for our families.
We have several ways for you to donate your gift of time and we invite you to find an opportunity that fits you best. Whether it’s volunteering as a group or individually, providing meals for our families or helping at a special event, you will support our families at their moment of greatest need. Click below on each of our volunteer opportunities to find out more.
Please contact our Volunteer and Community Engagement Manager, Diana Villarreal, with any questions.
Our individual volunteers are what keep each one of these programs running smoothly. For our individual opportunities, volunteer must be at least 18 years old and willing to commit for six months. Our individual volunteer opportunities require a background check and training before volunteers are able to begin.
House Volunteers supports our staff and do a wide variety of tasks including answering the phone and door, accepting donations, light housework, resetting rooms, and interacting with families. House Volunteers commit to a 3 hour shift weekly. Shifts are available weekdays between 9 am and 9 pm and weekends between 9 am and 6 pm.
RMHC Happy Wheels
Volunteers run our Happy Wheels hospitality cart to pass out snacks, drinks, toys and activities to families in pediatrics units. Happy Wheels at St. Mary’s runs Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesday evenings at 6 pm, as well as Sundays at 2:30 pm. Happy Wheels at the Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU in the Children’s Pavilion runs Monday through Friday at 9 am and on the Main Pediatric floor on Wednesdays at 5:30 pm.Learn More!
RMHC Sibling Center
The Ronald McDonald House Sibling Center is located at the Children’s Pavilion at VCU. Volunteers will commit to a 3 hour shift weekly and have the opportunity to engage with the children in the Sibling Center in age-appropriate activities such as talking, listening, reading, art, games, etc. Shifts are available Monday through Friday 9 am to 12 pm or 12 pm to 3 pm.Learn More!
Apply to Volunteer
1. Complete our volunteer application.
2. Set up a time to meet with our Volunteer Manager,Diana Villarreal, to discuss the volunteer role in more detail.
3. Complete required background check or hospital health screening.
4. Schedule and attend training.Submit an Individual Volunteer Application
Our meal volunteers prepare home cooked meals for families staying the Ronald McDonald House Charities which helps them to focus on caring for their child. Please keep groups to 10 people or less for breakfast or dinner and 8 people or less for lunch or cookies.
For all of our meal opportunities, volunteers purchase the food items and bring them to the Ronald McDonald House to prepare the meal in our kitchen. Meals should be made for 15 people unless otherwise noted. Volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a volunteer over 18. All food must be prepared at the Ronald McDonald House, commercial kitchen, or purchased at a store.
Breakfast is served every Saturday and Sunday morning. Volunteers arrive between 8:00- 8:30 am to have breakfast by 9:30am.
Lunches are made every Sunday and Tuesday- Friday. All of the lunches made are taken either to St. Mary’s or VCU Health. Volunteers arrive at 9:00 am on Tuesdays-Fridays to have lunches ready by 10:30 am, and flexible times on Sundays.
Jane's Cookie Hour
Cookies or desserts are made every Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Cookie volunteers arrive at 1 pm to have cookies ready by 2 pm. Please, no more than 3 dozen cookies.
Dinner is prepared daily for the families at the house. We ask that volunteers arrive between 4p.m. and 5 p.m. to have dinner ready by 6 p.m.
Stepts to Volunteer
1. Complete our Group/Family Interest Form
2. Check out our Meal Calendar to find open slots.
3. Email our Volunteer and Community Engagement Manager, Diana Villarreal or call 804-355-6517 to reserve a slot.
4. Review our Meal GuidelinesDownload Cookie Hour Guidelines
Download Lunch Guidelines
Download Meal Guidelines
We welcome groups to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House Charities to help us help families feel more at home here. We would be happy to give your group a tour of the house to learn more about what we do! Due to the size of our facility, we can accommodate groups of 10 or fewer and suggest a 1-2 hour time frame for your group’s visit.
Here are some ideas for projects for groups:
• Cleaning or organizing around the house or outdoor area.
• Making a meal for the families staying in the house. (See meal volunteer options)
• Decorate the doors of our 9 bedrooms: small wreaths or door hangs work best so our families can take them home as a keepsake! We do have hooks on each door.
Volunteers purchase items and assemble:
• Grab and Go Bags: consisting of a small microwavable meal, 2-3 individually packaged snacks, a juice box or half-sized water, and a note written by a volunteer all in a gallon sized ziploc bag.
• Activity Packs for our Happy Wheels Program: consisting of a few small items like a coloring book, crayons, puzzle book, activity book, etc. in a gallon sized ziploc bag.
Steps to Volunteer
1. Complete our Group/Family Interest Form
2. Set up a time to speak with our Volunteer Manager, Diana Villarreal, to discuss which opportunities may be the best fit for your group.
Donations can be dropped off to the Ronald McDonald House Charities daily between 9 am and 9 pm. If you would like to receive a tour of the house when dropping off donations, please email our Volunteer and Community Engagement Manager, Diana Villarreal, or call 804-355-6517.
Individuals, families, schools, churches, corporate groups, etc. can collect pop tops and donate them to the Ronald McDonald House Charities. Learn more!
Holding a Wish List Drive
Collect items that are critical to helping families feel at home. Check out our Wish List.
Donate & Assemble
• Grab and Go Bags: Small microwaveable meal, 2-3 individually packaged snacks, and a juice box or half-sized water in a gallon sized ziploc bag.
• Activity Packs: 2-3 small items like coloring books, crayons, puzzle books, activity books etc. in a gallon sized ziploc bag.
Special Event Opportunities
Volunteer at our Red Shoe Rendezvous, Red Shoe BBQ, or other special event opportunities! Check out our events!
Steps for Offsite Opportunities1. Complete our Group/Family Interest Form
2. Set up a time to speak with our Volunteer Manager, Diana Villarreal, to discuss which opportunities may be the best fit for you.