Other Ways To Help
Choose an activity that’s just right for you
Over the years our friends and supporters have collected millions of aluminum pop tops (also known as pull tabs) to support our programs. We simply recycle them for the cost of the aluminum. Download a Pop Top Program Flyer
Facts about Pop Top Donations:
- In 2014, we made just over $5,000 from recycling pop tops.
- For each pound of pop tops, we receive approximately 55 cents
- There are 1,267 pop tops in a pound.
- That means we recycled 11,517,030 pop tops.
- You can also fill the pop top collection houses with pennies and it will add up to $12.
All pop tops can be delivered to the Ronald McDonald House any day of the week between 8:00 am and 9:00 pm. We recycle all of our pop tops with our partner, United Scrap Metals.
If you are unable to bring your pop tops to the Ronald McDonald House, you can take them to your local recycling center and mail the check you receive in exchange to RMHC of Richmond, 2330 Monument Avenue, Richmond, VA 23220.
The RMHC Donation boxes in McDonald’s are one of our biggest ongoing fundraisers. These funds come from people like you filling the boxes with nickels, dimes and quarters. Last year alone $28 million was collected world wide and more than $87,000 in the greater Richmond area.
- Donate your change at any Richmond area McDonald’s restaurants. A full donation box could let a family stay together at the Richmond Ronald McDonald House for to two nights while their child receives care at a nearby hospital. Change can also give families a place to rest in one of our five Ronald McDonald Family Rooms, just steps from their child’s hospital bed.
Sponsor a Room
In addition to our nine-bedroom Ronald McDonald House, the Richmond chapter of Ronald McDonald House Charities supports three Ronald McDonald Family Rooms at Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU and two rooms at Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital. Located just steps away from the Pediatric Intensive Care Units, the rooms provide a place for families to get well-deserved rest while remaining close to their sick children. When families walk into a Family Room, we want them to forget they are in the hospital.
You can help make this vision a reality by taking the opportunity to sponsor one of the five bedrooms as an S.O.S. Sponsor. A $500.00 donation will underwrite one month of provisions, maintenance, upkeep, and staffing for these rooms to ensure the highest comfort for the families we serve.
Your one month, $500.00 S.O.S. Sponsorship includes:
- Signage within the common area of the Ronald McDonald Family Room program at Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU or Bon Secours St .Mary’s Hospital.
- Facebook & Twitter Recognition (with option to link to your company or organization page)
- Recognition on RMHC Richmond website
- Private tour of the House or Family Rooms
- Listing in RMHC e-newsletter if 2 or more months purchased
If you are interested in sponsoring a room, please download our Sponsorship Form.
Host an Event
RMHC needs the help of individuals, businesses, groups and partnering organizations to host special events and fundraisers throughout the year to support seriously ill children and their families that need a place to stay near the hospital.
If you are interested in hosting a fundraising event or creating a special way to fundraise for RMHC Richmond at your business, school, organization or church, please complete the Project Form.
To create an online fundraiser please click here.
Request a Speaker
Are you involved in a club, school, group, or organization? We want to come speak to you! RMHC of Richmond prides itself on continuing our mission and part of that is reaching out to local and surrounding area groups to tell them exactly what it is we do.
Our presentation is approximately 10-15 minutes long and is suitable for groups of all ages. It is a unique way to learn about the House that Love Built through facts and information about Ronald McDonald House Charities, the programs we offer, Family Room information, and ways you can help. There is no cost for requesting a speaker, but please no farther than 30 miles from the House!
If you would like more information or are interested in having a speaker come to your next meeting please email Diana Villarreal or call (804) 355-6517.